Professor of Media and Culture, Lincoln School of Film & Media, University of Lincoln
B.A.(Essex), M.Sc (London), Ph.D (Warwick)
+44 (0)152 283 7339
Project role: Co-Investigator
Lead investigator for: Illicit Drug Use – Online information sharing by people engaged in addictive and other dangerous drug use: a qualitative and philosophical analysis
Dave Boothroyd is a Professor of Media and Culture in College of Arts
Dave was previously at the University of Kent (2000-2014) where he was Director of Cultural Studies and before that at the University of Teesside (1990-2000).
In the last couple of years he has been researching the impact of the incorporation of digital communications into everyday life, and in particular the ways in which this changes perceptions and understandings of such things as censorship, intimacy, secrecy, the senses and subjectivity. This has included collaborations with artists whose work addresses such themes. His work is concerned with the ethical and political dimensions of culture in all its senses and more generally with the relationship between ethics and politics and technologies of communication.
Dave’s most recent book is Ethical Subjects in Contemporary Culture (Edinburgh University Press, 2013) and he is also the author of Culture On Drugs: Narco-cultural Studies of High Modernity (Manchester University Press, 2006). In 2011 he edited a volume on Pharmacology in the innovative, Open Humanities Press/JISC-funded, open access series Living Books About Life.
He was a co-founding editor (with Professor Gary Hall) of the first fully open access, peer-reviewed journal of cultural studies and cultural theory, Culture Machine, in 1998. (The latest scheduled edition of which will be on Drone Culture (2015) and edited by two of his colleagues in the School of Film and Media, Dean Lockwood and Rob Coley.)
Recent relevant publications:
- Boothroyd, Dave(2011) Off the record: Levinas, Derrida and the secret of responsibility. Theory, Culture and Society, 28 (7-8). pp. 41-59. ISSN: 0263-2764
- Boothroyd, Dave(2009) The ends of censorship. ISSN: 1684-4637
- Boothroyd, Dave(2009) Touch, time and technics: Levinas and the ethics of haptic communications. Theory, Culture and Society, 26 (2-3). pp. 330-345. ISSN: 0263-2764
- Boothroyd, Dave(2009) Censuren slut/The ends of censorship. Glänta, 1.09. pp. 4-12. ISSN: 1104-5205
- Boothroyd, Dave(2007) Narkofenomenologi: från Sartre till Merleau-Ponty. Glanta (2-3).
- Boothroyd, Dave(2005) To be ‘hospitable to madness’: Derrida and Foucault chez Freud. Journal for Cultural Research, 9 (1). pp. 3-21. ISSN: 1479-7585
- Boothroyd, Dave(2004) Deconstruction and everyday life, or how deconstruction helped me quit smoking. Culture Machine, 6. ISSN: 1465-4121
- Boothroyd, Dave(1999) At the cultural studies crossroads: after Tampere. Culture Machine, 1. ISSN: 1465-4121
- Boothroyd, Dave(1996) Medusa’ blood: Derrida’s recreational pharmacology and the rhetoric of drugs. Imprimatur: A Journal of Criticism and Theory, 1 (2/3). ISSN: 1360-9017
- Boothroyd, Dave(1996) Foucault’s alimentary philosophy: care of the self and responsibility for the other. Man and World, 29 (4). pp. 361-386. ISSN: 0025-1534
- Boothroyd, Dave(1996) Labial feminism: body against body with Luce Irigaray. Parallax, 2 (2). pp. 65-79. ISSN: 1353-4645
- Boothroyd, Dave(1995) Levinas and Nietzsche: between love and contempt. Philosophy Today: An International Journal of Contemporary Philosophy, 39 (4). pp. 345-357. ISSN: 0031-8256
- Boothroyd, Dave(1995) Nietzsche’s future perfect and the eternal return: toward a genealogy of ideas. History of European Ideas, 20 (1-3). pp. 125-133. ISSN: 0191-6599