Lecturer and PhD Admissions Tutor, Department of Informatics, Kings College London
BSc (Bangalore), Masters (Univ. of Texas) PhD (Cambridge)
+44 (0)207 848 2445
Project role: Co-Investigator
Lead investigator for: Social media data sets – analysis of large data sets and creation of suitable subsets
Nishanth Sastry is a Lecturer (roughly equivalent to a US-style tenure track Assistant Professor) at King’s College London. He holds a PhD from the University of Cambridge, UK, a Master’s degree from The University of Texas at Austin, and a Bachelor’s degree from Bangalore University,India, all in Computer Science. He has over six years of experience in the Industry (Cisco Systems, India and IBM Software Group, USA) and Industrial Research Labs (IBM TJ Watson Research Center).
His honours include a Best Undergraduate Project Award, a Best Paper Award from the Computer Society of India, a Yunus Innovation Challenge Award at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology IDEAS Competition, a Benefactor’s Scholarship from St. John’s College, Cambridge, a Cambridge Philosophical Society Research Studentship, a Cisco Achievement Program Award and several awards for his work at IBM. His work has ranged over several layers of the network stack and he is currently involved in building better networked systems by harnessing social network information.
Recent relevant publications:
- Crowdsourcing and social networks. Nishanth Sastry In R. Alhajj, J. Rokne (eds.), Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining, Springer-Verlag (forthcoming), DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-6170-8
- On Factors Affecting the Usage and Adoption of a Nation-wide TV Streaming Service Dmytro Karamshuk, Nishanth Sastry, Jigna Chandaria and Andy Secker, To appear In INFOCOM 2015.
- ISP-friendly Peer-assisted On-demand Streaming of Long Duration Content in BBC iPlayer Dmytro Karamshuk, Nishanth Sastry, Jigna Chandaria and Andy Secker, To appear In INFOCOM 2015
- Social Bootstrapping: How Pinterest and Last.fm Social Communities Benefit by Borrowing Links from Facebook. Changtao Zhong, Mostafa Salehi, Sunil Shah, Marius Cobzarenco, Nishanth Sastry and Meeyoung Cha, 23rd World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2014
- Where is in a name? A Survey of Mobility in Information-Centric Networks. Gareth Tyson, Nishanth Sastry, Ruben Cuevas, Ivica Rimac, and Andreas Mauthe. Communications of the ACM, 2013
- Demystifying Porn 2.0: A Look into a Major Adult Video Streaming Website. Gareth Tyson, Yehia Elkhatib, Nishanth Sastry and Steve Uhlig. Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), 2013
- Sharing the Loves: Understanding the How and Why of Online Content Curation. Changtao Zhong, Sunil Shah, Karthik Sundaravadivelan and Nishanth Sastry. The 7th International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM), 2013
- Understanding and decreasing the network footprint of over-the-top on-demand delivery of TV content. Gianfranco Nencioni, Nishanth Sastry, Jigna Chandaria and Jon Crowcroft. 22nd International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2013